Monday, January 14, 2008

My brothers

As I've mentioned before, I have an older brother who has 2 kids. A few weeks ago, he called to tell me there's another one on the way - due around Shavuos time.
Tonight, my younger brother (remember I mentioned him? He got married in August) called to tell me his wife is expecting also, due at the end of June. I know we're expecting now also, but it still bothers me. We were married for over 3 years when he got married, and he gets to have a kid before us? Don't get me wrong - I'm thrilled for them, and wouldn't want anyone to go through infertility. But couldn't they have waited a few more months before getting pregnant?

4 comments:

Michele said...

We'll hopefully all of your children can grow up together and be close friends. That part would be so nice. And as someone who got pregnant on her wedding night and then experienced a much more difficult time with the second attempt, I've had to give into the fact that only G-d knows when we're supposed to conceive and have children. Frighteningly, we really don't have much control over it.

arijess said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
arijess said...

i know exactly what you are saying. it does feel unfair that he gets to have a kid before you! (though w/ twins one never knows!). the technique that i use in this situation is "thank Gd at least we're pregnant now, or this situation would be a million times more painful for me. now i'm annoyed. if we weren't pregnant, i'd be devastated and really miserable and jealous."

you don't get out of the infertility mindset so easily. recently, i sat at a table with my sil (baby is a year), my other sil (babies are 18 months and 6 months), and my other sil (pregnant) and my sister (pregnant) and listened to them talk about how annoying pregnancy is. thank Gd at this point in my life i am not running from the table to go cry in the bathroom. will i ever enjoy a conversation where people have fun grumbling about how uncomfortable pregnancy is? i strongly doubt it. but thank Gd i can sit at the table and tolerate it!!

Unknown said...

Its refreshing to hear a man make these comments. I make them all the time! There is supposed to be order in siblings accomplishments! First one married has first Grandchild!! That is how its supposed to work . . . . Congratulations on the twins! I hope to be on the other side one day.