Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Real Friends

Sometimes, events happen that show you who your real friends are.
When my wife had her miscarriage recently, there were a few friends who we told about it. Not many, just a few who we thought were really close friends, who know we are going through infertility.
Everyone we told had the same initial reaction: "Oh, I'm so sorry, is there anything I can do?"
One of my friends stayed on the phone with me for close to an hour, at around midnight, because I was a wreck.
Another couple drove over an hour to spend some time with us, because we told them we needed some time with friends who could sympathize with us. Not only did they come, it was on a weeknight, and pretty late.
However, there were others. Some friends had the initial reaction, and that was it. They offered their help right away, but afterwards, that was it. When we spoke or wrote e-mails, it wasn't mentioned.
No "How are you? Feeling better?"
No "Do you need anything? Supper?"
Nothing. Not a word about it.

Sometimes it takes a sad event to show you who really cares, and who is your friend when it's convenient for them.

1 comment:

Prairie Girl said...

Unfortunately, it's so true.

I'm so sorry for you and your wife's loss. My husband and I have gone through this as well. It really does show you who you're real friends are.

It's wonderful that you had the few that were there for you. They are AMAZING friends!!

Again I'm so sorry!!